It is Upfront season! That is the time of year when all the broadcast and cable networks announce their line-up for the following season so that advertisers can strategically plan how they want to spend their money. The press is there as well. The presentations range from breakfasts to late night parties with amazing bands. Talent is often always there to help sell the shows and make advertisers feel that much more comfortable spending thousands to millions of dollars. There is probably a better description of Upfronts somewhere online…just an fyi.
This time of year, we also find out what television shows get the axe…and it can be pretty upsetting! When the list comes out, I have these various range of emotions:
“Oh…I didn’t even realize that show was still on”
“WHAT? IT GOT CANCELLED??!! SOMEONE CALL THE NETWORK!”http://giphy.com/gifs/dolly-parton-9-to-5-YVtKS1pCRiww)
“Yes, it got picked up for another season!!!”
(http://gph.is/15bRbWf) – this gif NEVER.GETS.OLD.
I love television, hence why I have worked in the business for the last 11 years. But, there have been far too many shows that have stayed on way past their prime (I will be kind and not name them), while others were gone too soon. Below is a list of 10 shows (7 of them I have watched, 3 of them I did not, but know were fan favorites) that should have lasted a few more seasons. While you read this, please hum (or have playing in the background) “It’s So Hard To Say Goodbye To Yesterday” by Boyz II Men.
- My So Called Life (1994-1995) – I swooned so hard for Jordan Catalano
- Happy Endings (2011-2013) – Hands down one of the funniest shows on TV
- Newsroom (2012-2014) – Excellent writing, fantastic cast, should definitely still be on the air
- Don’t Trust the B in Apt 23 (2012-2013) – It got funnier as the episodes went on
- The Mindy Project (2012-2015) – Definitely deserves a chance to turn itself around…I’m looking at you, Hulu
- In Treatment (2008-2011) – Great storyline and as always, HBO does an excellent job with casting
- Arrested Development (2003 – 2006) – Oh so funny
- Veronica Mars (2004 – 2007) – I did not watch this one but, who does not love Kristen Bell?
- Friday Night Lights (2006 – 20011) – I know…I can’t believe I haven’t seen it either!
- Freaks and Geeks (1999- 2000) – How did I not watch this when it had such an amazing cast?!
I know there are plenty more that should be on this list. What would you add?